Sunday 1 May 2022

The Direction Of Things To Come

After almost 4 months of listening to nothing but pop punk, I'm finding my way back to listening to hardcore again. Following another trip to California a month ago, I've ended up with a huge amount of new records and music, so I need to increase my blogging rate else I'm never going to get through this stuff.

So I chose this record to post today mainly because of the title. It's an indication of what I've picked up recently and will be featuring on here for the next few posts. I stayed with Dave who runs Indecision Records, and it proved a good opportunity to catch up with some of the stuff he's put out that I was not familiar with. But amongst the sea of new releases, I found a couple of colour vinyl copies of the first Ensign LP, 'The Direction Of Things To Come'.

Originally released in 1997, there were 515 copies of this LP on grey vinyl. And even though I used to buy everything that Indecision put out around that time, I never owned this record on grey vinyl before. So it was really cool to get one that was brand new and still sealed twenty five years later.

Whilst I never owned the grey vinyl version of this record, I instead owned the purple vinyl version, which was pressed for a European tour. It also comes in a purple coloured cover. Apparently the LP covers came back and they were printed the wrong colour (purple). So instead of scrap them, the label decided to press up some matching colour vinyl to go inside. So it was cool to find out that the purple copies kinda came about by accident after owning one for almost twenty five years.

I hadn't listened to this one in quite some time, but grabbing this record made me check the record out again. I have to say, I had forgotten how good this one is. I used to like Ensign at the back end of the 90s, but for some reason my brain authomatically thinks of them as being second rate to other bands of the time. One play of this and I realised my memory failed me. This is a great record and I think has aged pretty well.

No comments: