Saturday 14 May 2022

We're All Dying Just In Time

Well this one was a turn up for the books. I used to love Death By Stereo back when their first couple of albums came out. I mean, I only really bought them because they were on Indecision, but at the time remember thinking that they were really interesting records. The musicianship was high and the singer had a very strong vocal and could actualy sing. I saw them play live once and they were great. But I guess like a lot of bands that keep going and going, I kinda lost interest at some point and lost track of what they had done. Turns out they had full lengths that came out in 2005, 2009 & 2012 that I had no idea existed. And they had another in 2020 that Indecision Records released called 'We're All Dying Just In Time' which I just picked up.

If I am honest here, I mainly picked this up because it was cheap, I was in the mood to pick up some new records. Oh yeah, and also because I thought that the green vinyl looked great. I figured that I probably wasn't interested in Death By Stereo in 2022, but based on the fact that I liked them twenty years ago then maybe there might still be something there that interested me.

Well, I have to say, I was really pleasantly surprised at how good this is. It made me think about why I lost track of this band in the first place. AFter some thought, I think that part of it is to do with the label(s) they were on in the 00s, and also the fact that two of their albums are CD only. I have always prioritised sinking my money into vinyl, so most CD only releases over the years passed me by. But anyway, this album is fantastic. It has some great variety, and I have to say that I love a vocal where you can clearly hear every word and not have to resort to reading the lyrics if you want to sing along. This one is also now high on my 'listen every day' play list and I am so glad that I gave it a chance. If you have never heard the band before, I'd actually recommend this one as a starting point. And if you have heard this band before but not heard this record, then I'd recommend giving it a chance like I did. You never know.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Interesting. I stopped paying attention to DBS after the third record, when the guitarist Paul Miner left the band. They seemed to have lost some of that frantic urgency of the early records at that point so I didn't bother with them anymore. I'll have to check out this latest one.