Monday 16 May 2022

Unscrew My Head

With my recent decision to buy more new releases, I decided to pick up the Ekulu 'Unscrew My Head' LP. This came out last year and sold out before I knew it even existed. I generally have pretty low motivation to listen to every hardcore band that comes along these days, so I rely on hype. After a while I notice certain bands popping up more than average, and at that point I might check them out. So I'd seen the hype around this album and decided to just pick up this second press clear yellow vinyl copy, which is exclusive to RevHQ.

So I've been playing this one for a few weeks, and whilst i can kinda see what the hype is all about, this one has yet to really land with me. it's just not grabbing me like other records I have been listening to lately. None of the songs seem to stick in my head no matter how many times I play it. I mean, it's a solid hardcore record and probably sounds like a lot of New York bands from the late 80s, and I bet they are great live too. But it's a hard record and I'm still hoping that it's gonna click pretty soon.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Wow. This was surprising. I figured that you'd love this one as much as I do. One of my favorites from last year.

Ralf said...

I find the LP to be a little bit longwinding, but the first two 7"s were absolutely great. And I usually don't like that type of hardcore at all. But those 7"s I love.