Monday 9 May 2022

Pretend I'm Human

I'm not exactly sure why, but the last couple of years have seen most of the Orange 9mm catalog repressed or reissued on vinyl. The latest one to come out I hadn't ordered and had almost forgotten about until Nico posted pictures of his. SO I hopped on over to the Thirty Something Records store and placed an order. I had an overwhelming urge to maintain as complete a collection of Orange 9mm records as possible.

The first thing to say about this is that the packaging is great. It even comes in an orange poly sleeve, which is a nice touch.

There were 3 different colours of vinyl pressed, but I chose the orange... just because it feels that all Orange 9mm records should be on orange vinyl. I mean... come on.

It also comes with an insert, a poster and a sticker.

Oh yeah, and as a real gimmick, it comes with an Orange 9mm branded flyswatter. Or rather, a mini flyswatter. I've never owned a flyswatter in my life, but I'm pretty sure that if they were this small then nobody would ever manage to actually swat a fly.

This record was originally released back in 1999 on CD only and, until this year, I had never heard it before. I lost touch with (or gave up on) Orange 9mm at some point, probably because their releases were on a major label and CD only. Back at the end of the 90s there was no way to listen to stuff before you bought it, and I had limited funds available. Buying import CDs was an expensive business back then. ALthough if I think about it, I probably didn't even know that this had even come out at all, nor the band was still going. 1999 was a weird time, and Orange 9mm just wouldn't have been on my radar back then. But listening to this in 2022, I'm not really sure I missed anything. I think that this is probably their weakest record, and I actually struggled to get through it even once. If this were a new release I'd probably give it more time, but given it's a reissue of a 23 years old, I'm not sure there's too much point.

2 comments:

nico said...

Would you call the sleeve embossed?

mcs said...

No, not embossed. I think it's called spot varnish.