Wednesday 11 May 2022

Sweat

A couple of months ago Mike asked me if I had listened to the band Sweat. I had no idea what he was talking about but I deduced that he somehow expected me to know about the existence of a current band. Surely not. But to continue the ruse that I have a clue as to what is going within the musical sphere these days, I decided to investigate... which involved watching a video of one song on youtube. I think I dismissed the band within about five seconds of the vocals kicking in. I just found the voice off putting and I told Mike that Sweat was definitely not for me.

But when Mike later made a post about the band's LP that he bought he made comparisons to Annihilation Time and Thin Lizzy. so I decided I should give the band another shot and try to listen beyond the vocals. Well of course, when i focussed more on the guitar, it sounded much more appealing to me, and with my new decision to buy more new releases and be less fussy about vinyl colours, I decided to pick up a copy one day at RevHQ. I mean, I was there and the records were right in front of me. It woud be stupid to not buy one, right?

It turns out that there are 4 colours of vinyl for this thing, and I got a white one, which is not the most interesting looking version. But in terms of pressing, they are all the same, with there being 500 copies of each colour.

So the funny thing about how this story ends is that I'm now really into this record. It's getting played every day at the moment, and has been for the past couple of weeks. This is a really great hardcore record, and I'm now a big fan. And to think I nearly wrote this off after five seconds.

EDIT - Literally one day after I posted this I received a Sweat promo flexi in the mail. I figured I would just add it on to the end of this post rather than make another post about it, or add it to another post. It features one song ('Hit And Run') which is the opening song on the LP.

I've been sent a few of these promo flexis in recent years and most just go in the bin, but I figured this one worth keeping. Also, interesting that I don't think I have ever seen any of these promo flexi things on discogs. Makes me wonder there may be any of these things for records I actually care about that I don't even know exist.

1 comment:

Mike said...

It made me happy to read this post. Glad you are digging it.