Wednesday 27 April 2022

More Lookout! Records 7"s

I'm finally getting to the end of this pile of pop punk records that I kept for myself from my friend's collection. I decided to bunch the remaining Lookout! Records 7"s into one post, rather than do a post for each. Partly because I don't think I could say that much about some of them, and partly because I have a big backlog of new records building up that I want to get to post about. The only question I had with this post was in what order to post the records, so I decided to order them according to their catalog numbers. So here we go...

Starting off with Lookout! #9, the Yeastie Girlz 'Ovary Action' 7", released in 1988.

I actually used to own this 7" in the past but sold it because it wasn't great. But this time around I felt a little nostalgic about it. The band play no music whatsoever. They just kinda rap, but with no musical accompanyment whatsoever, on themes based around feminism and sex. I mean, just check the pic on the b-side label:

Adding this one to discogs I became aware for the first time in my life that this 7" exists on red vinyl. So obviously I want one of these now. Man, I love finding out about things like this for the first time 30 years after first hearing the record. Crazy.

Next up is Lookout! #13 from 1989, the Surrogate Brains 'Surrogate Serenades' 7".

This one I hadn't heard before. I do like the artwork as it is very much of the period. The songs here are super catchy, and this one just might be my favourite of the bunch, even though they do sound more pop than punk.

Next is Lookout! #14, also from 1989. The Eyeball 'Prosthetic Head' 7".

This one has some crazy artwork, and I love the whole concept of a prosthetic head. This band kinda reminds me of The Didjits. Fast with a similar vocal style, and slightly nonsense songs. But they are definitely fun. No ugly people allowed!

Next is another banger from 1989. Lookout! #16, the Kamala And The Karnivores 'Girl Band' 7".

The band features Kamala Parks, who is / was a bit of a scene legend in the old bay area punk rock scene of the late 80s / early 90s. She played in a few bands (including Cringer, who I featured in my last post), and was instrumental in getting the legendary 924 Gilman Street venue set up and established. This 7" features 4 poppy songs that border on 60s pop music. Again, this 7" contains some very catchy tunes. Sadly this copy is black vinyl rather than blue, but I hope in time to find a colour copy.

Next is Lookout! #31 from 1990. This is Blatz! 'Cheaper Than The Beer' 7".

Somehow Blatz is a band that I had completely overlooked until this year, somehow. They are raw and fast and fun. They had three vocalists, two of which were women. I love how punk and messy this band is. 'We're not gonna piss in a cup, no we're gonna fuck shit up'. Genius.

And finally, a slightly later release. This one is Lookout! #56 from 1993 - Jack Acid 'Destroy The Boat' 7":

This is another band with duel male and female vocals, and it works pretty well. The guitar on this one reminds me of H-Street skateboard videos, in that there's a lot of distortion and a kind of sloppiness. I don't know. I can't really do this one justice. But it has the same charm as all the other 7"s in this post.

At some point I am going to have to do a check of my collection to see which Lookout! 7"s I am missing. I mean, I'm not interested in owning the entire output of the label by any means, but anything up to about 1993 seems to be worth having, and I'm interested in trying to obtain a complete collection of all of the releases that have the Laytonville address, which I think is 30 or so. I already own the expensive big hitters (Green Day & Operation Ivy), so I think this is a realistic target to set myself. And obviously just what I need - another collection to pursue.

No comments: