Monday 23 May 2022

Glow On

Today's post is a record that was record of the year last year for many people. I was going to say that Turnstile's third LP 'Glow On' really did divide opinion, but actually I think that most people had already made up their mind on this band one or two records previous. But one thing that everyone did agree on was that this one really did 'push the boundaries' and prompt the question - is Turnstile still a hardcore band? I'm not even sure what my answer to this would be, and I'm not sure anyone would care anyway. But regardless, I'm with the majority here in that I love this record.

I'm not sure there is much point in posting this record now, months after it originally came out. I mean, everything that could be said about this one has been said a hundred times by everyone else. But it has been an important one for me in terms of learning lessons...

When this went up for order I was late and most of the limited colours of vinyl had sold out. But there were defintiely a couple of more common colours available to order. But as has happened many times in recent years, I was annoyed at having missed the rare versions, so I decided not to buy one of the more common ones as some kind of protest. Well, that was a big mistake, because this record ended up being like pretty much no other record I can think of, in that every single version of the record that showed up on the second hand market was selling for stupidly high amounts of money. I ended up in a position where even a black vinyl copy was going for £80-100. Some of the rarer versions were selling for $500-$1000 within a few weeks of the thing coming out. Total insanity... but a real indication as to how record collecting plays out in the 2020s.

Anyway, I picked up this copy from a shop over here for a reasonable price. I think this is a 2022 repress, but at this stage I'm just happy to get one at all. But damn, I am kicking myself for not buying one of those awesome looking pink copies (or even one of the white ones) when I had the chance.

1 comment:

Willem RWHAF said...

Same division in my mind since I checked out the album.