Tuesday 10 May 2022

Nothing But A Grey Nightmare

You know how I love weird variants of records, right? Well on my last trip to Rev I had a flick through the remaining copies of the Soul Search 'Nothing But A Nightmare' 7" to see if I could find any quirky copies. Rev released the 7" back in 2015 on two colours of vinyl - light grey and dark grey. At the time it seemed stupid that the two colours were both just shades of grey. But in terms of looking for variants, I figured that there might be a couple of copies that were nearer to either white or black, so took a few minutes to flick through the box to see what I could find. In the end I found a few interesting variants, although they only really show up when placed near to other copies.

The more limited colour was the light grey, of 550 copies. I found 4 copies that had a fair amount of variation to them, as shown in this photo:

The more common colour was dark grey. There were 1,100 copies on this colour, and I also managed to find 4 copies of the dark grey that show the variation in the press:

When I pulled these out the folks at Rev thought that I was nuts, which I don't deny. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to flick through a box of records and see if I could find anything interesting. I was really hoping that I might find a pure white or pure black copy, but either they don't exist, or they got sold already.

The final thing to do is to lay the whole lot together for no reason other than it means I never need to lay these out again.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Ha ha ha...next level nerd shit.

Another Mike said...

Is there coming a post about what you did and what you found out over at the Rev vault? Everyone wants to know!