Friday 13 May 2022

Lost Artifacts

I used to religiously buy everything that Indecision Records put out in the 90s and early 00s. They used to be one of my trusted labels and I would buy everything the label released. But then in the mid 00s the label slowed down and only really seemed to focus on putting out discographies of 90s bands. It felt like as if the label had pretty much wound up. But then a few years later the label started putting out new music again, but it felt like things had changed. I didn't know any of the bands, and some of them had questionable names and artwork. I switched off and figured that the label had lost it's way, like a lot of labels from the 90s that I used to love.

To mark the 100th release of the label was a compilation 10" titled 'Lost Artifacts'. It put together some previously unreleased songs from the glory days, and contains tracks from Count Me Out, Over My Dead Body, Throwdown, Death By Stereo and Faded Grey. I vaguely remember this coming out and nearly placing an order, but stopping myself mainly because it was a 10" and a compilation, both of which flagged it as 'unnecessary'. But visiting Indecision HQ recently I decided that I kinda wanted one in my collection. So of course I bought two.

A bit like the Sparkmarker LP that I posted a few days ago, I had the opportunity to grab a test press for a really great price so could not say no.

And because I was picking up a test press, I also wanted a regular copy. I chose the white vinyl (white is actually more 'off white', almost to the point of being grey), which is the most limited colour.

After chatting with Dave about this record, it very much represents the closing of one chapter and the start of another. Interestingly, this record came out in 2017 and the label's first release was the Strife 7" twenty five years earlier, in 1992. So a quarter of a century to put out 100 records... yet in the 4.5 years since this came out, the label is now up to catalogue number 154. Things have obviously sped up considerably.

After spending a little time checking out some of the releases that have followed this comp, I can safely say that Indecision has released some really great records the past few years, and I was pretty much ignorant to this. I've been working my way through some of the label's more recent releases over the past few weeks, and I'm kicking myself for not picking up on some of these things sooner. So there will be some more posts on Indecision releases in the near future...

No comments: