Tuesday 26 July 2022

Scrap

I'm not sure there are many things as exciting in life as finding a rare record that you want for sale on eBay at a low price. I suppose that finding a record you've wanted for a long time in a record shop would probably be more satisfying, but given I rarely leave the house these days I can't really relate to that. Anyway, I was pretty stoked to see a test press for the Farside 'Scrap' LP pop up on eBay, and as soon as I saw it I knew I was going to make a play for it. The price didn't seem to be going crazy as some eBay auctions can, so I watched and waited and I ended up winning it for what I consider to be a really great price. I'm guessing that the fact that it wasn't on Revelation really helped keep the price down, as some people literally only collect Rev records, meaning that records by Rev bands on other labels never seem to sell for as much.

This one is pretty standard 90s test press, coming in only a plain white paper sleeve. I asked the seller where he got it from, and it turns out that he was given it by Farside's bass player, Brian Chu. Apparently Brian released the LP. This came out on a label called Comida Records, which never released anything else. Kinda makes sense now I guess. It's also interesting that the paper sleeve has the title as 'Demos' LP. I'm guessing that at the point the test presses came back, they hadn't decided to call the record 'Scrap' yet. As is customary on here, I took a pic of the test press with the regular record cover:

This LP is a real hidden gem. It contains demos and a couple of early unreleased songs by the band from their pre Rev days. Before the band's first 7" was released, Zack De La Rocha was in the band for a bit on guitar, and there's a picture of him in the booklet that comes with the regular version of this LP.

After picking up the test press of 'Rochambeau' a couple of months ago, my Farside collection is coming along nicely. And as if this wasn't enough, there's still one more installment in the series to come. Stay tuned...

No comments: