Sunday 31 July 2022

Not This Time

There are some records that have been on my wants list forever. I think this is partly because I use my wants list as a reminder of everything that I don't have that I would ideally like to own, rather than a list of things that I badly want to own. I am sure that a lot of the things on my want list I could go out and buy tomorrow if I wasn't too bothered about how much money I was going to spend. But for me part of the fun is always waiting to get a record for a reasonable price as well as finding the thing in the first place. So basically, some things just sit on the wants list for years and years.

I honestly have no idea when I added the Follow Through 'Not This Time' 7" to my want list. But I figure it has been there for at least twenty years. But in this case, the reason I never managed to cross it off was that I never saw a copy for sale. Despite there being a couple of copies for sale on discogs right now as I type this, this thing just never seemed to come up for sale. And especially because I only wanted a gold vinyl copy.

This band was a pre-cursor to Right Brigade, with Jesse Standhard and Ian Flemming in the band. It was released by Standhard Records way back in 1996, a year or so before their full length was put out. I got the album back when it came out, although for some reason I can't recall where from. WHat I do remember, however, is that I was really into that record at the time, so no doubt that whenever I found out that they also had a 7" out I would have added it to me wants list.

It was pretty satisfying to finally find a copy of this for a fair price, although when I received it I was a little disappointed as it has no insert. Also, aside from the collectibility, this doesn't sound too great in 2022. There are a couple of songs on here that are also on the LP, but these versions sound weaker than the album versions. It's probably because the LP was recorded by Brian McTernan who probably knew what he was doing, whereas this 7" was probably recorded directly onto a portable cassette recorded in someone's basement. OK, so the recording quality isn't great but still, this is a great little straight edge 7" EP.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Great score on a great record. I'd love to get this gold vinyl pressing at some point.