Wednesday 6 July 2022

Question What You Collect For

When I look back on years passed, I think that the 2001-3 era of hardcore was actually pretty damn good. Some great new labels, a new era of bands, and a new phase of record collecting. Bridge Nine was without doubt leading the charge, and they quickly became a label that I religiously bought everything that they released because I completely trusted their judgement. Buying records by bands I had never heard of or heard was exciting and I was rarely let down, and without a doubt I got into some bands that I would never have heard if they hadn't been on B9. One such example is Holding On. Their 2nd LP, 'Question What You Live For' came out at the end of 2002 at roughly the exact time that I had just bought my first house. I don't think that's really relevant, but it both seems like yesterday and a hundred years ago both at the same time. Anyway, I always liked the record, and always kinda wanted to pick up a yellow vinyl copy of the record. Recently it happened and I was pretty stoked.

There were supoposed to be 300 orange vinyl, but 275 orange copies came back from the plant along with 42 yellow copies. As such this thing used to be pretty sought after, but I picked this up on discogs recently for only $12. I was pretty happy with that.

Inside I found this insert, which kinda suggests that someone paid quite a lot more. I'm going to guess this dates back to 2003, as it mentions Champion would soon be going into the studio to record their LP, which came out in 2004.

I got my other copies out for a group photo and was surprised that I have one less copy than I thought that I had. There are two different grey vinyl copies - one with blank, stamped labels and one with regular labels. I thought that I had one of each. But I guess not. Still, how great do these records look?

1 comment:

Mike said...

I haven't listened to this record in about 10 years, and I'm kind of excited to see you post about it because I'm all about digging out long forgotten records right now. Will have to take this Holding On record for a spin!