Saturday 16 July 2022

Pink Fuel / Phleg Camp

As a general rule, I don't like discogs. I think it has done more harm than good, all things considered. But one thing that it does have going for it is its ability to unearth records that you didn't know exist before. Somewhere around 6 years ago now, I became aware via discogs that the Fuel / Phleg Camp split 7" existed on colour vinyl. I'd had this record in my collection for probably 20 years or more and never heard of or seen a colour copy before. Back when I made this discovery in 2016 or so, it was still possible to buy records on discogs for a reasonable price, and I managed to get a white vinyl copy, although sadly it got lost in the mail. So I was pretty stoked to finally be able to replace it, albeit with a pink one instead.

Having not known for over two decades that this existed on colour vinyl, it then turns out that there are multiple colours out there. According to discogs, there are copies on white, pink, blue, red and purple. After owning a black one for so many years, I'd have been happy with any colour at all. But the pink is rad. I don't own many releases from Allied Records, but I do not associate them with colour vinyl at all. I think all of their releases that I could name are all on black vinyl only, which makes this one that little bit cooler.

For those who don't know these bands, Fuel were from San Francisco. I always liked them. They had a 7" out on Lookout! Records and their LP was put out by some label or other, but then reissued by Ebullition. At times they kinda remind me of Avail, and other times they sound a little like Fugazi. They were definitely the main draw on this split 7" and reasonably big back when this came out in 1990. The band on the flipside, Phleg Camp, I know very little about. Their songs on here are good, and kinda remind me of some band or other from a Lookout! Records comp from way back, although I can't think who. I never bothered exploring anything else that they put out. I checked their discogs page and it seems that they put out a few 7"s which can be picked up these days for loose change. I find myself getting nostalgic for records from this era this year, but it's kinda cool that these things aren't super expensive, so I'll probably pick up additional colours of this one if the chance presents itself. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Love this! I was tempted to pick up the pink vinyl for this recently, but passed on it for one reason or another. I would definitely recommend checking out the Phleg Camp 'Beaker' 7 inch.