Thursday 14 July 2022

Only Echoes

So a little over year ago I got a postcard style flyer in a parcel of records. You know the sort - glossy, two sided postcards used to advertise other records that you haven't bought in the hopes of making you spend even more of your hard earned money. Most of the time these things end up in the recycling, but something about this one caught my eye. It was the artwork. Not the usual 'in your face' type picture of a band or some awful bright coloured lettering. This one was a tree and a cross. So I read the description and it referenced Mineral and Sunny Day Real Estate. The words and the art were enought to peak my interest, so I checked the band out online, and really liked what I heard. I bought the record pretty quickly, but it has taken a long time to get to me. The record is called 'Only Echoes' and is by a band from somewhere in MA called Sinking.

I haven't really listened to stuff like this for a long time, but something about this release just spoke to me and seemed interesting. It sounds good, it looks good, and it has hardcore connections - one of the members is in Maniac (with records on New Age Records & Triple B). I jumped in and grabbed the clear vinyl, which is out of 100 copies, and looks great.

This was released by a label called Patient Zero Records, who I'd only heard of in recent months after they reissued the first Four Walls Falling 7". Turns out that they've put out over 50 records by bands I have never heard of, which is quite some feat given it only started in 2018.

Well anyway, when I decided to buy this record there was an opportunity to pick up a test press. The price was ok, and given that I had played the record a lot and really liked it, I figured I was going to go the whole hog. It also helped that it came packaged in a sleeve with some artwork. It's also numbered out of 25.

I spent a lot of time listening to this one in the early months of 2021, and it also got some heavy play on my December trip to California, so I'm really stoked to finally have records

It also now turns out that they have just released another 12" EP for which there are less than 200 copies total, with 25 copies coming in a nice Rival Schools rip off cover that are long gone. Damnit. I get a record I am stoked on and then it leads to getting bummed out that I missed another.

Anyway, it looks like all versions of 'Only Echoes' are still available from the label, which I am surprised about. But this could work in your favour if you're interested.

No comments: