Thursday 27 June 2024

You're Only Young 5 Times

Another classic Rev record, and this time it's the Side By Side 'You're Only Young Once' 7" repressed as a 12" with three extra songs bolted on the end. I guess this very much qualifies as a reissue rather than a repress, as this particular version of these songs has never previously been put out. This came out last year and I'm sure everyone has seen pictures of every possible version of this, so I won't go into too much detail.

As is often the case these days, there were a few different colours of this and no black vinyl pressing, which for once I actually think is a shame as black would have matched the original 7" much better, as it was only released on black vinyl. I'm not as happy with this record as I was with the Bold repress as the vinyl for this one is pressed at an inferior plant, and the colours are pretty ugly. My favourite is this opaque purple pressing, which was exclusive to Coretex, Generation and Project M (whatever the fuck that is).

The record is a fairly good reproduction of the 7" in larger format. They've even blown up the insert to a giant, colour poster.

As ever, I picked up all colours of this one. There were 4 in total. This is what the other 3 look like:

The colours shown above are clear purple (1500), pink (600) and 'fuchsia and white' (450) which looks utterly awful in my opinion.

Well anyway, I picked up those and then Rev also stuck up a copy with a limited cover for sale, so obviously I had to grab one of those too. It contains one of the clear purple records and the cover is a photo of Alex Brown mid air at a Side By Side show in Albany in 1987.

This version is hand numbered and limited to 250 copies. Compared to most Rev releases in limited covers, 250 copies is actually relatively high number. The weird thing about this is that Rev restricted the sale of these to 3 per person, when other limited records they have released have been strictly one per person. Maybe they weren't as confident that these would sell? But of course, they sold out in no time at all.

No comments: