Sunday 30 June 2024

Like A Big Fuckin' Train

Another journey back into the early years of the Sub Pop catalogue, and I picked up a couple of 7"s by The Supersuckers. This is another band that I used to listen to in the early 90s and then abandoned when I got into straight edge hardcore and turned my back on a lot of other stuff too. I reaquired their debut LP in 2016 and loved it, but that was as far as I went back then. Picking up these two 7"s has brought them right back into my world with a bang.

The first 7" is titled 'Like a Big Fuckin' Train Ep'. It was released in December 1991 as Sub Pop SP125. There are 5 songs on here, and they are over in around 6 minutes. This is loud, fast punk and it's great fun, especially the song 'I Say Fuck'.

This also comes on blue vinyl, which is the one I Used to own back in the early 90s, and which appears to be slightly harder to find than the purple.

I also picked up a second 7", 'Hell City, Hell b/w Dead Homiez'. This one came out in 1992 and is 45 releases further into the catalogue, being Sub Pop SP170. I guess they were pretty busy back then, knocking out a release a week or so.

This one is slightly less fast and the songs are slightly longer. The first song is still great though. The second song, 'Dead Homiez' is a little weird I guess. It's one of those songs that's so bad that it starts to become good, because you can't help but sing along, if that makes sense.

Even though I like these early Supersuckers records, I feel no real desire to venture further into their discography because after this they seemed to change image and they started wearing cowboy hats. Enough said.

No comments: