Wednesday 5 June 2024

Boxed In

Another of my favourite releases from last year (2023) was the 'Boxed In' LP by Planet On A Chain, which was put out by Revelation. At the point that this came out I had no idea who the band was. As has been the case many times in the past, I bought this because it was on Rev. And after listening to this one a fair bit last year, I finally got around to picking up the vinyl.

One thing I do like about this record is that it looks like a typical hardcore record. A black and white cover with a live shot. If I came across this flipping through a rack of records in a record shop, this would definitely grab my attention.

Blue vinyl (aka 'cobalt') was the Rev exclusive colour, out of 200 copies.

There were also two other first pressing colours - orange (600) and 'coke bottle clear' (300).

Next up was a limited sleeve version sold in the Dropdead online store, the 'Fucking Assholes Don't Get It Hardcore Edition'. This one comes with a folder cover on top of a regular sleeve, and contains one of the clear vinyl copies.

This version was limited to 50 copies. I think I may have ordered it whilst using the toilet in Paris Charles De Gaulle airport. Once I had safely secured myself a copy, I passed the information on to a rival.

Then a little later came a second pressing on red vinyl. What I like is that the changed the lettering on the sleeve to red. I love stuff like this. Changing the cover art to match the record and differentiating it from the first pressing is a nice move.

And then, bizarrely, there was a 'second edition' of the 'Fucking Assholes' sleeve with the second pressing red vinyl inside it.

This one has some extra text on the back, which reads 'second press limited to 50'.

Annoyingly there are also some tour press copies with a different sleeve. I have no idea how many there are, but it is probably a pretty low number. I imagine it will take a long time to find one.