Monday 5 August 2024

Consume Me

Another Revelation release from last year that I've taken a while to get around to posting. The debut full length from Big Laugh, 'Consume Me'. This record came out at pretty much the same time as the Planet On A Chain 'Boxed In' LP. I think if this had come out at a different time then I would have spent more time with it, but at the time it was overshadowed by the POAC LP. A year or so later, however, and I have given it more attention and I'm really digging it.

This split black and white vinyl is the RevHQ exclusive colour limited to 300 copies and is probably my favourite colour of the three that were pressed. There were two other colours of this one, both of which I also bought. Black & green vinyl is the retail store exclusive (300) and 'coke bottle clear' (which bears no resemblance to an actualy coke bottle in my opinion) out of 600 copies. All three colours are still easily available as I type this, which suggests that this record has not proved a huge hit.

Big Laugh are a tough band to describe as they fuse elements of lots of different bands. But that's what makes it interesting. I guess it's a shame that they don't seem to have caught on with too many people quite yet. Could be to do with the fact that they are from Milwaukee and don't seem to have toured much. And could also be the fact that their record came out at the same time as that Planet On A Chain LP, which had better cover (and so would have most likely attracted more people to give it a go). I don't know, I'm guessing really. But that's how things go sometimes - a band puts out a great record and people kinda miss it.

No comments: