Saturday 24 August 2024

What Do We Do Now?

Earlier this year there was a new J. Mascis solo LP released. Just in case anyone reading this is unaware, J is the singer (and guitarist) in Dinosaur Jr, which is a band that I have been a fan of for a long, long time. When I heard that there was a new album coming, the first since 2018, I knew I wanted a copy. The only problem was that I know that Sub Pop use a different pressing plant for their European pressings, and the vinyl is not as good as the US pressings. So I needed to find a way to get a US copy. So I added the US colour vinyl version to my discogs want list and then every single day I was getting the discogs email about stuff I eanted for sale, with a long list of copies of this record for sale. After a few days it felt like spam. So I had to just buy a copy so I could remove it from the want list and stop the daily spam.

Most people know that J Mascis is obsessed with the colour purple. A bit like Prince I guess. So most of the Dinorsaur Jr or previous J Mascis records come on some kind of purple vinyl. This one is no exception... even though blue would have been a much better choice.

Just like previous solo records, this is some pretty laid back, melodic indie rock. This stuff ain't really the soundtrack for the gym, but for the days when I am at home working, stuff like this is perfect.

After checking discogs, it turns out that there are a couple of other colours of this one, which I am kinda tempted by. I probably shouldn't though. I need to try to avoid 2024 collecting. Before I know it I'll get sucked into owning ten copies.

No comments: