Tuesday 27 August 2024

Lotsa Potential

A couple of years ago I picked up a bunch of stuff from Indecision Records on a trip to California. One of those records was a 12" by a new band called No Plan which was, at the time, a new project started by Eva from Power Alone / Gather. During the time I was there, Eva met with the drummer from Bent Blue about joining the band, and it very much felt like this was a band in its infancy. Given that everyone in the band seemed to be in other bands, I wasn't sure it would go anywhere, but in the time since it seems that they have played a few shows and become a proper band in their own right. I guess that's how things are in California - the community is relatively small and everybody knows each other, so it's no surprise that people are starting new bands all the time.

Anyway, No Plan's debut full length, 'Lotsa Potential', came out at the end of March this year on Indecision Records. I picked one up as I enjoyed the first EP and wanted to support Eva's latest project. Having spent a little time with her in 2022, she is a great artist and I really admire that she puts a lot of effort into things that she is passionate about.

There were two colours pressed - blue (200) and orange (300). To my eyes, the orange would probably be the better match to the cover art. But I chose the blue because it is rarer, and that's still my default way of thinking. It's tough to change the habit of a lifetime.

This band sounds nothing like any of the other bands that any of the people in this band have ever been in. So bands like Retaliate, Amendment 18, Power Alone, Ursula, Stay Gold... none of them sound anything like No Plan. This record is a punk / pop punk band, with early Lookout! Records bands being cited for reference. I can see that. But this band definitely has a bit more bite that the early Lookout! bands. Overall this is a great punk record, which I struggle to play and not sing along to. Definitely one of the biggest growers of the year so far.

No comments: