Friday 30 August 2024

Slip Test

I got an email from Geoff a couple of weeks ago asking if I knew who the seller of a Quicksand test press was. I guess he asked because the record was located in the UK, and there aren't too many people over here who would be likely to have a Quicksand test press. Anyway, it was interesting because until he emailed I had no idea that this thing was for sale. I haven't been as on eBay as much recently. So I saw this record and figured I would watch it... and then, as has been the case a few times recently with records on eBay UK, I won it for a reasonable price.

This is a test press for 'Slip', from the 2012 repress. What I was surprised about was that this was pressed at Erika. Seeing pictures of the 2012 press, with the green and yellow swirl vinyl, I had always assumed that it was pressed at the shitty plant that I hate. But no. Turns out that it was pressed at the best plant in the world.

I don't own a copy of the 2012 repress, so I pulled out my original 1993 pressing for this next photo.

The funny thing about this is that I didn't realise what I had bought until it showed up. For some reason, when Geoff sent me the link to this record, I thought it was a test press for the second LP, 'Manic Compression'. I thought that I had seen a 'Manic Compression' test with Erika labels at some point in the past, so when I saw the Erika labels my brain just made an assumption about what this was, even though the auction picture clearly showed the hand written 'Slip' on the sleeve. So there I was thinking that I had bought a 'Manic Compression' test, and then when it arrived and I took it out of the mailer I realised it was a different record. Whoops! I was initially disappointed, but I figure this is still a nice item to own, and as the price wasn't too bad I figure I'll hang on to it.

No comments: