Friday 31 May 2024

Work Ethic

To conclude my series of posts covering the stuff I picked up from Blackout! Records is this Deadguy 12". Just like the other two Blackout! releases, this is another reissue, but unlike the last two posts (Redemption 87 and Killing Time), these songs very much WERE previously released on vinyl, but as two separate 7"s. This 12" simply combines two 7"s onto one handy bigger disc. I have both original 7"s and usually wouldn't bother with stuff like this, but on this occassion I have to admit that I was fully sucked in by the colour of the vinyl itself, which I saw a picture of and thought just looked beautiful.

The Blackout! store describes this colour as 'blue swirl', but the hype sticker on the shrink wrap refers to it as 'blue swirl swirl' vinyl, which made me chuckle.

I can only assume that maybe it's because there seems to be a law these days that all vinyl colours must be described by no less than three words, so they must have added the extra 'swirl' to avoid being fined by the vinyl police.

There were also 4 other colours (pink, yellow, red, maroon) for which there are 200 copies of each. None of them seem as visually pleasing when compared to the front cover art, although no doubt the maroon probably goes quite well with the back cover.

Listening to these songs in 2024, I am still floored by how powerful Deadguy is. These 7"s were released thirty years ago, back in 1994, and even though I was around back then I struggle to remember what people's thoughts were. I remember everyone seemed to like them, and clearly they were 'big' enough to get signed by Victory, but compared to everything else that was about at the time they must have sounded absolutely gigantic.

No comments: