Sunday 26 May 2024

Neon Zebra

Another of the early(ish) Sub Pop releases is this 7" by Japanese band Shonen Knife. This was released as part of the Sub Pop singles club in April 1991, and according to the pressing info there were a whopping 5,000 copies.

Shonen Knife are an all girl band from Japan who have been going consistently since 1981 or so. Some bigger bands like Nirvana were apparently fans, which probably helped them gain a lot of overseas fans and keep going for 40 years.

Compared to what I would usually listen to, this 7" is nuts. At first I thought it was terrible, but as with a lot of things, once you approach it with a more open mind it starts to make more sense. It's basically just a lot of fun. I figured I'd link you to this video so you can check it out yourself. This journey through the Sub Pop catalog is really opening me up to all kinds of stuff, and I will definitely look further into this band.

No comments: