Wednesday 29 May 2024

All Guns Poolside!

At some point a year and a half ago or so, Blackout! Records pressed up the second Redemption 87 album on vinyl for the first time ever. 'All Guns Poolside' was originally released in 1998 as a CD only release, and even though I loved the first album when it came out two years previous, I never picked up the second one. I'm trying to think back in time twenty six years or so to understand why this was the case, but all I can up with is that I didn't buy CDs, and there were always more than enough vinyl releases for me to try to keep up with. So me picking this up all these years later is actually the first time that I have ever heard it.

I was so disappointed when this came out because the colour vinyl options were ugly as hell. Most colours were neon green or neon pink or a mix of the two, or a splatter neon colour. In the end I opted to go for pink as it seemed to be the least ugly of all the options, even though this is the most common colour.

In addition to the coloured vinyl options being disappointing, the record itself is also a bit of a let down. Side A is ok, with 7 'new' (in 1998) songs. And then the flipside has 7 songs that I would describe as a strange choice. There are 4 cover songs and the rest are the band's original 3 song demo tagged on the end. So overall a bit of a Frankenstein record. I'm not really sure why they didn't just release the 7 new songs and leave it there, but for me this doesn't feel like an album, and I will probably never ever listen to the second side ever again. But still, cool that they finally upgraded this from CD after all this time.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I remember buying the CD back in '98 and thinking it was a weird collection of songs back then as well.