Thursday 2 May 2024

Say Less

Another recentish new Revelation release, 'Say Less' is the debut release from Calling Hours, a band that features Farside vocalist Michael Vogelsang, aka Popeye. The band is basically made up of the band Don't Sleep with Popeye on vocals instead of Dave Smalley. They formed in 2021 and clearly didn't need to bother with a demo as Rev were straight there with an offer.

The record is like a lot of records these days, being a 12" which isn't quite long enough to warrant being called an album, but is also a little bit too long to be just an EP. There are 7 songs on here that clock in at 23 minutes, which is longer than the average full length hardcore record. This particular colour is the retail store exclusive colour which is pretty damn limited for a modern Rev release, as there are only 128 copies.

I actually went to see this band play a few months ago. They were supporting As Friends Rust on their european tour, and I made a rare effort to travel into London to see them play. This record wasn't out so it was one of those situations where the show just wasn't too much fun as I was hearing every song for the first time. At the time, the highlight was two Farside songs that were saved to the end of the set. But after listening to these songs a fair bit over the last few months, I wish I could see them play again. The songs are really strong and I have been loving this record. I had it in my top releases from last year that I didn't have the vinyl for at the time.

Obviously I was stupid enough to pick up every version, although in this case there are only three copies (at the moment at least).

Blue with white splatter is out of 200 and is the Rev exclusive, and there are also 600 on grey. And best of all, this thing weas clearly pressed in the States as the records both look and feel really good. So a double win here.

No comments: