Monday 6 May 2024

Go To Hell

Here's another of my favourite 2023 releases that I have only just got the vinyl for, this isa 12" by Mean Season titled 'Go To Hell'. I absolutely loved their LP 'Grace' that was released way back in 1994. I always held that as one of my favourite 90s releases. So when I heard that they had some new music coming out last year, to say that I was excited was a bit of an understatement.

This came out on Indecision Records about a year ago with little fanfare. There were 500 copies pressed, all on silver vinyl. I was kinda expecting that the world would have gone nuts for a new Mean Season record, but I've seen pretty much nothing about this record posted online, so it feels that it went largely unnoticed.

As excited as I was for this one, it felt like a bit of an anti claimax. Or possibly a missed opportunity. At first glance this appears to contain eight songs. However, the first is a 40 second atmospheric noise intro, and the final three are covers. So when you exclude those, what is left is just four new songs.

The four new songs that we do get are really good. They sound pretty much exactly the same as Mean Season used to sound thirty years ago, which is exactly what I wanted. There's also a song that features dual vocals with Eva from Power Alone which sounds fantastic. So whilst the new songs are really, really good, I just wish they'd recorded a couple more.

No comments: