Sunday 5 May 2024

Living Proof

I was trying to decide what to post about today, and I saw on instgram that it was a year ago today that the secod Drain LP came out, so that made the decision for me.

Drain came into my life when Revelation released their debut LP 'California Cursed' in 2020. I really liked that record and it ended up being my most played record of 2020, and the one I went have gone back to the most. So even though they moved on to a new label, I was interested in hearing their new record. It came out on Epitaph and there were different colours of vinyl pressed for both Europe and the US, but as is often the case, the European versions looked like shit. So I made the decision to buy a US copy and wait a while.

This colour is a nice clear blue colour, which I think seems like the most suitable given the cover art.

I did enjoy this record a lot last year even though I didn't have the vinyl. But in my view it doesn't touch 'California Cursed'. Overall it just doesn't quite flow as well. Firstly there is a hip hop track which is titled 'intermission' and which just seems to slow things down a bit. And then after two more songs there's a Descendents cover ('Good Good Things') which I don't like at all. I saw them play live last year and everyone seemed to love this cover, but it just feels out of place to me. The singer tries to sing it in a different style and it does not sound right to me. WHat makes it super annoying is that this cover ends and then there is one more song. It would have made far more sense to put the cover at the end, not one song before the end. It just plain irritates me having to press 'skip' every time I listen to it.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I prefer this record to their first one... but that's probably because I still haven't been fussed to check out California Cursed yet.