Tuesday 29 August 2023

Friends Like Blue

I'm a sucker for detail and at some point a few months ago I became aware that there are two differnt versions of the Sick Of It All 7" on blue vinyl, each with different labels. I had one and wanted the other, and figured that in time I would find one for a good price. Last week I picked up a couple of Rev 7"s from a guy in the UK who was selling his collection, and he had a blue vinyl Sick Of It All 7" in there. So I decided to just buy it. I didn't even ask which one he had. But it turned out to be the one I needed.

So this blue vinyl pressing has the labels that were originally used on the 1997 repress of this record. The other blue vinyl copy that I already owned has the labels with the big Rev star logo on the label. I'm not exactly sure when each was pressed, but I am pretty sure that the one I already had is the earlier of the two as I bought it when the blue vinyl was first pressed, which I was startled to discover was actually nine years ago... in 2014.

I feel that the two records were possibly pressed at different pressing plants. This new blue copy that I just acquired feels a bit lighter, and the centre label feels a bit flatter than the other one. Hopefully in time I will get an answer to that. But for now I'm just gonna enjoy having scratched another want from the list, and added yet another copy of this 7" to my box.

3 comments:

itallcomesdowntothis said...

Do you still wonder about the beginning of the first paragraph in the 2014 post?

mcs said...

It's a good question. But no. I made a conscious decision about 2-3 years ago that I want to have the best and most complete Rev collection there is. So I no longer feel at all frustrated by more represses popping up. In fact for some records, I quite enjoy them. I will say, however, that my enthusiasm for each record these days is mainly due to which pressing plant it was made at, which never used to be an issue with Rev at all.

Anonymous said...

The blue w/ red label is from 2014 while the white label is the 2016 pressing. This accounts for the difference you see/feel between the two pressings. Same plates though based on the same matrix.

Interesting note: The blue w/ red label was the last time they used that label.

- tdc