Wednesday 9 August 2023

Stop The World

What do you do if you've been waiting patiently for your favourite band to release a new record for over 20 years and they've delivered nothing? Well, if you're a regular schmo like me, you probably don't do anything other than listen to different bands instead. But some people are different...

Welcome to 'Stop The World' by NOT. Quite possibly the only record I have ever bought by a band put together to sound exactly like another band. Or rather, the first record by a band happy to openly admit that they are ripping someone else off... because that's exactly the point.

Basically, this band and record is an attempt to create the new ALL record. You know, ALL - the band that is The Descendents with a different singer. The first clue is that the band name is in capitals, and also and the cover art is very similar to any of the ALL records. These are pretty obvious clues.

But aside from the visible similarities on display, the music itself is also incredibly close to sounding just like ALL. It's actually very impressive. I read about this, went to bandcamp feeling sceptical about it, and then after about ten seconds thought that I was listening to the new ALL album. Listen yourself and you will see what I mean very quickly.

I have to say, after my initial scepticism, I am left thinking that this is one of the coolest ideas ever. Clearly now the answer to the question 'what do you do if you've been waiting patiently for your favourite band to rekease a new record for over 20 years and they've delivered nothing?' is that you just say 'fuck it' and make it for them.

Oh yeah, this is the second pressing of this record on blue vinyl. I narrowly missed out on the purple first press, but I'm ok with it as this one probably looks better anyway. You can still get this one pretty easily, although I don't think it will be around for too much longer as people are starting to catch on to this.

No comments: