Saturday 5 August 2023

The One Thing That Still Holds True

This is the last post in my series of Revelation Records test pressings that I picked up from an ex Rev employee, and I think I saved the best until last...

Back in 1996 Rev reissued both of the Chain Of Strength 7"s on a 12" with an extra song, and used the same catalog number as the original 'True Till Death' 7" - Rev10. I'm not sure why they didn't give it a new catalog number, but nevermind. Anyway, even thought 'The One Thing That Still Holds True' was effectively just a reissue, I remember being pretty damn excited for it. And here I am twenty seven years later getting just as excited all over again for the test press.

Like the rest of the records in this batch, this record came in a white paper sleeve, so I pulled out one of my regular copies to make the photos more interesting. But a friend of mine has located a spare sleeve for me, so in time this copy will have something to sit in.

So here's an interesting fact on this record - the Rev pressing info states that there are 4 copies of this test press. However, this is only half true. Having been to the Rev vault, I found out that there were two different test presses of this one made. The first was dated 11 Jan 1996, and the second is dated 01 April 1996. The first test press was rejected, but I have no idea why. The second test press has 'RE-1' added to the matrix (as do all of the regular copies of this record. Well anyway, I'm not sure which of the test pressings are out of 4 copies, but it is likely that there are 4 of each, as a lot of the test pressings from that time period were made in batches of 4.

My test press is one of the original rejected test pressings, which of course means that I'd also like to track down one of the 'RE-1' approved copies one day, although this is probably unlikely. Never satisfied.

No comments: