Wednesday 23 August 2023

Trait

Last year I was chatting to Igby at RevHQ about some nonsense or other, and he was listening to Ministry, and we got to talking about the Ministry catalogue. Now I need to state right up front that I am NOT a Ministry fan. I once bought a record of theirs back in about 1992, but I was never overly into it and sold it. Well anyway, I was then asked if I had ever listened to Pailhead, and the answer was a definite 'no'.

Well then a few months ago, a UK distro that I use from time to time suddenly got in a reissue of a Pailhead record. My mind instantly went back to that conversation with Igby, so I decided to check the band out, and to my surprise I really liked it. But I didn't want to buy some crappy looking repress, so I kept my eyes open, and then a couple of weeks ago I spotted an original pressing of the 'Trait' 12" EP on ebay for cheap. It was an auction, and I ended up being the only bidder. I've had a few bargains on eBay lately and it's stoking me that bargains are still possible. If you have patience, and a little time, then eBay is definitely where its at.

So for anyone that doesn't know, Pailhead was some side project where Ian MacKaye sang with a couple of the guys from Ministry, and unsurprisingly this sounds kinda like Ministry with Ian MacKaye singing. I avoided it for three decades just because the I just assumed that combination would not work. But I guess these days I'm just more interested in going back to old shit that I never tried rather than pick up some new band that probably sounds generic. And of course, it helped that it was cheap. Cheap buys rule.

2 comments:

itallcomesdowntothis said...

If you ever watched Zero‘s Misled Youth, you have been familiar with at least one song. That‘s how I got tricked into liking them. At least that one song. Well technically, the part of that one song they used in the video.

Mike said...

Great post. I remember buying the Pailhead CD back in the early 90's because I thought the Ministry / MacKaye combo would be amazing (and it was)... but then again, I really liked the Ministry / Jello Biafra combo with Lard, so...