Wednesday 2 August 2023

Set Your Goals

This post is the penultimate in my series of test pressings I picked up recently from an ex Revekation Records employee. Today's post is Rev 41, the CIV 'Set Your Goals' LP.

This one came to me in a plain white paper sleeve. But by some stroke of good fortune, I had a spare sleeve on my shelf (that I'm not sure where it came from). Fun fact - the original first press copies of this record had a glossy sleeve, whereas later represses have a non glossy sleeve. The spare sleeve I had happened to be a glossy one, which means that this record now lives in a first press sleeve, which makes me happy.

This is an original test press from 1996. Only 4 copies exist. In recent years there was another test press, which is identifiable because it has newer Rainbo labels.

I have so many fond memories that relate to this record. I saw the band on tour back in the mid 90s, but I honestly don't recall whether it was before or after this record was released. But it was a great show. WHat now seems crazy is that when this record came out, it was only about 4 years since Gorilla Biscuits had split, yet nack then it felt to me that GB was from a totally different era. And now here we are, over 25 years since this LP was released, and I somehow still think of this as a semi recent record, whereas I consider 'Start Today' an old record. In reality both are, like me, old as fuck. Anyway, I still feel that at this point I'd rather see CIV play live than GB, although I'd probably rank 'Start Today' higher than 'Set Your Goals'. Kinda makes no sense right?

1 comment:

Ralf said...

Damn, Marcus. You‘re on a roll here with all of these tests. I get your sentiment about ranking Start Today higher, but wanting to see CIV over GB. I‘ve seen GB a bunch of times by now, but I‘ve never seen CIV and I‘d love to hear those songs in a live environment. Maybe with one or two GB songs thrown in there ;)