Sunday 19 March 2023

Soul Blind

At some point last year someone recommended that I check out Soul Blind. A young band from New York state, these kids play music that sounds a lot like 1990s grunge, which is a sound that feels increasingly fresh and interesting these days. I downloaded a couple of songs in Summer last year and really enjoyed it, and then at the end of last year their debut album, 'Feel It All Around', came out. I couldn't wait to listen to it, and downloaded it immediately. I think I first checked it out on the 1st or 2nd of January, and instantly I thought that this could be the album of the year...well, aside from the technicality that it actually came out in November of last year.

As is often the case these days, this was pressed on a number of vile looking swirly splattery colour options, but the only one that looked remotely acceptable was the 'silver smoke' version, which just so happened to the a UK exclusive. I figured it would be easy to find if it were a UK exclusive, but sadly not, because the so called UK exclusive was only sold by a retailer in Germany, which is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, and further confirms to me that modern day record selling is largely run by total morons.

It doesn't show up too well in these pics, but this silver' colour is slightly transparent. I took one more pic of it on the cover to show it better.

The story doesn't quite end there for Soul Blind. I was picking up something else from a UK distro and it turned out that they also had a Soul Blind 7" in stock, so I figured I'd grab it. This is called 'Greatest Hits Vol 1' and was originally relaesed by Trip Machine Laboratories in 2020.

There are 4 songs on here and this is the stuff I downloaded last year. And as is often the case when you're kinda late to the party, I'm bummed I didn't pick up on this band sooner and be able to grab a first press copy of this. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, this is a great band that creates a sound I really love, and one that will definitely get a lot of future play. Some records I know I will only listen to a little over time, and others I know will last long into the future. These are definitely in the latter category. According to itunes I have already played the album 22 times in just over two months. I wonder where that number will be by the end of the year?

No comments: