Monday 6 March 2023

Single Successful Guy

On the last night of my last holiday in December last year, I found myself passing by Newbury Records in Boston, so decided to look inside at the record section. I have had mixed results at Newbury Comics in the past, but one thing that it does have going for it is that it gets lots of exclusive pressings from all kinds of labels, and they have a fairly healthy selection generally. I didn't really find anything that I really needed, but there was an exclusive orange vinyl pressing of the self titled Bouncing Souls LP in the bargain bin at a really cheap price.

This is actually a 25th anniversary pressing and there were 500 made. On the Newbury Comics website the vinyl colour is referred to as 'orange cream sherbert', although I think it could just as legitimately be called 'orange'.

I've never really been interested in the Bouncing Souls before, but given that I spent the first three months of last year listening exclusively to pop punk, I figured I'd give it a go. It didn't grab me immediately, and at first I felt that there were too many songs and it was a bit too long. But after I started to get used to it, the songs started to become very catchy, and it felt like the album was over very quickly. Weird. So that's where I got to with this one. A catchy record that you can sing along to, especially 'The Toilet Song'.

1 comment:

Mike said...

There are times when I really enjoy listening to The Bouncing Souls, and other times that I really wonder if I ever need to hear them again. Definitely a good band when you are in the mood for this kind of thing.