Tuesday 14 March 2023

4 Years To Jupiter

So I used to collect Cave In records. I say 'used to' because I have now officially given up. Their latest LP came out last year on 12 or more different colours of vinyl, and that was enough for me to quit. Just in time too, as it seems that most of their back catalog is going to be repressed by Relapse Records, probably on a multitude of splatter vinyl options which I want no part of. Anyway, I'm still interested in picking up the older releases that I am missing, and here's one that has a slightly cool story to it... the test press of the european pressing of 'Jupiter'. This one was pressed by a label called Chrome Saint Magnus back in the year 2000.

I first held this exact record in Los Angeles in 2018. I went back to some dude's house who used to help run Hydrahead Records, and he had this record in his house amongst a lot of other records that were for sale. I was interested, but we couldn't agree a price. He wanted $350, which I thought was way too much. I told him that I would be prepared to go to $120 but tht was my limit. Needless to say, I left the record in the house that night when I left.

Well, only a couple of months later and the dude sold most of his records to record shops in LA, and a lot of them (including this one) appeared on discogs. I can't remember the exact price, but I think it was initially listed for $300, possibly a little more. It doesn't matter really. The point is that the price was way too high. But still, I added the item to my cart. I figured I would watch it and hoped that the price would come down. And yes, the price did come down, but very slowly. After being initially listed at some point in late 2018, the price came down and down over the course of 4 years. Then, near the end of 2022, the price came down to $120. I then shot the seller a message offering $100, and he accepted. So after 4 years, my estimate of this record's value was finally proven correct. As I have said so many times before... record collecting is all about patience.

WHat I always liked about the Euro press of this record is that it uses the green cover art. The US vinyl pressing has purple cover art, although the US CD version (which came out before the vinyl by a good few weeks, I think) had the green cover. Anyway, as ever I don't need a black vinyl copy, so this collection ends here. One of my favourite records of all time, and I tihnk that I now have every version that I want.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

Considering inflation in general and of record prices in particular, you made a real bargain. Well done.