Tuesday 21 March 2023

700 Club

A couple of weeks back I got an email from Static Shock Records telling me that they had a new repress copy of the legendary Koro 7" in stock. As a record collector, this is a 7" that I have heard a lot about over the years, and know to be nigh on impossible to find. There were originally only 500 copies made way back in 1983, and if one comes up for sale it sells for a lot of money. Basially, there is no way I am ever going to care enough to buy an original, so I thought that £8 plus postage for a legit colour vinyl repress was a pretty good deal.

As far as I can tell, aside from the vinyl colour this is a pretty good replica of the original. I like how the sleeve isn't too clean or crisp looking. I think if it were pressed on black then you could easily be fooled into thinking that this is an old record. A pretty faithful reproduction, which is nice because the same label pressed it back in 2006 and something wasn't quite right (I think the songs were either listed in the wrong order or put on the record in the wrong order, but not sure as I don't have one).

I don't know much about this band other than what I vaguely knew or read. Basically they were a bunch of high school kids in Knoxville, Tennessee who wanted to be the fastest band there was. This seems to have been the objective for a lot of bands back then, but no doubt these kids nailed it. Apparently there has been speculation over the years that these songs were somehow sped up, which has also been strongly denied. The band apparently existed for two years, released this 7" themselves that rips through 8 songs in 7 minutes, and here we are 40 years later and people all over the world are still super interested. I mean, what other kind of music scenes are there where people are paying thousands of dollars for am obscure 8 song record put out by completely unknown teenage kids from the middle of nowhere who never went on to do anything else? Hardcore punk rock is really awesome and unique at times.

Anyway, this is a great record for a great price. With only 300 copies made, which are only available from either Static Shock Records or La Vida Es Un Mus, this will soon sell out and be gone for good. Best grab one while they're still available.

1 comment:

Willem Termote said...

Ordered you made me curious…