Thursday 30 March 2023

A Place In The Sun

I picked up this third LP by Triggerman a while ago. The band is a longstanding outfit from California. Their first release was on Workshed Records back in 1992, and then in 2012 (yep... twenty years later) a second full length was released... although I think this may have been old unreleased songs (I'm not sure as I don't have it). Then a further 9 years later in 2021 they released a new album, 'A Place In The Sun'. The band released it themselves and pressed 300 copies as a double LP in a gatefold sleeve. I picked up a cheap copy of this a while ago but struggled to get into it. But after trying again I've been really enjoying this one lately.

The line up consists of Joe Nelson on vocals (Ignite, The Killing Flame, WInds of Promise), Gaving Oglesby (No For An Answer) on guitar, Brett Rasmussen (Ignite) on bass and Derek O'Brien (Social Distortion, Adolescents) on drums. I'm not sure this is a 'supergroup' as such, but these dudes have a lot of experience so the musicianship is strong.

The artwork is kinda cool, although it's not overly easy to make it out in these pics. Basically, the front cover is a street scene as viewed from above with a couple of dudes dressed like 1930s detectivesin trench coats and hats. The inner sleeves contain the same themed artwork. And nowhere on the cover is any text. I also received this copy sealed in shrinkwrap, and there was no sticker or anything. But there is text on the spine. So if you're flipping through records in a shop and you see thie, you'd have to turn it sideways to figure out what is was.

I'm not sure how I'd describe this. It's not exactly hardcore. It's slightly melodic, but not poppy. It's not too fast, and there's a song with a group of kids singing the chorus. It definitely felt pretty bland at first, but definitely a slow burner. So now of course I want the second full length from 2012 that I missed.

No comments: