Saturday 7 January 2023

Crushed On You

My favourite record this week is this 5 song 12" EP titled 'This Is When The Party Starts' by a band called Crushed On You. This was released by Indecision Records last year, although these are old songs. These songs were originally available on CD only in very limited numbers back in 2008. I'm pretty confident that the band's name is taken from the Unbroken song, given that the singer of this band is Steven Miller (who played guitar in Unbroken).

I'm a fan of two other bands that Steven sang in - Kill Holiday and The Landslide. Musically I would say that Crushed On You sits midway between the two. As regards Kill Holiday, this sounds much closer to the first 7" than the LP.

One thing I find interesting about this record is that the first song is the weakest, at least in my opinion. The other four are much stronger songs, but it is the second song ('Thenk God I'm From California') that is the standout. This song has firmly burrowed into my brain and I find myself singing it all the time. It takes me back to my trips to California and the beautiful sunshine, which feels so far away from where I live in January.

Like a few records that Indecision have been releasing recently, this is a very limited release, with only 200 copies pressed in total, all on green vinyl. Even though there were only 200 made, this is still currently available, presumably because people probably have no idea what it is and also because the band is long dead. For me this was an absolute must purchase, and it's great that these songs finally saw the light of day on a proper format.

No comments: