Saturday 21 January 2023

Mission Impossible

Another 7" from Wanna Hear It Records, and another version of a record I already had on a different colour vinyl that I couldn't resist buying because it was so cheap.

This 7" is by a band from Orange County called Mission Impossible. The record is titled 'Killing Us Softly' and was released by Dan O'Mahony's label Workshed Records back in 1991. When I was getting into hardcore this was just one of those 7"s that everyone had in their collection, which on reflection was probably due to the label that released it. The band never released anything else, so probably never really had too much of a presence. Yet literally everyone I knew had their 7".

I saw this copy for sale and although it had been some time since I had had my 7" out of its sleeve, I was pretty sure it was on a different colour vinyl. I know that Nico has about 400 copies of this record on various shades of lilac/purple, so I knew there were variations out there. Given it was cheap, I just decided to buy it assuming it would probably be different to the one I already had.

When I got home I was pleased to find out that my memory had not let me down. The copy that I have had in my collection for the past 28 years or so is a much lighter colour.

I'm not sure exactly how many variant colours of this one exist, but it's a relatively easy one to collect as it sells for very little these days. It's not that it's a bad record. Just one that has been forgotten about and lost in the sands of time. It's actually well worth picking up if you see one for sale. And if you do buy one and get a different colour to the two above, let me know.

3 comments:

geoff said...

another perfectly match cover to the vinyl color. im seeing a trend here.

Nico said...

Great 7", so many shades to collect, especially the lilac/lavender/pink pressing. The dark purple has two main variants too, solid and translucent.

Willem Termote said...

Marcus, standing in a record store in the USA and remembering the exact colour of a record to the extent you realise it’s different than the one you already own… the colour map of your mind seems endless dude! I can relate completely.