Thursday 25 March 2021

Lost Glories

Many times oevr the years I have been a bad influence on my blogger buddy Mike, forcing him to part with money on stuff he never knew he wanted. But sometimes it cuts the other way too. Over the last few years I noticed him gradually picking up Reach The Sky 7"s across not one, not two, but three posts, and it highlighted to me that I didn't have any of them. I definitely did have some Reach The Sky 7"s at some point in the past, but I must have somehow let them go, even though I have no memory of doing so. Very weird. All I can think is that I traded them away when the band was hot at the end of the 90s during the glory days of the Revelation trade board. I did so many trades on there it was crazy, and had a lot of luck trading newer releases for old.

Anyway, I recently picked up a few 7"s from a friend and decided that now was the time to add some Reach The Sky 7"s back into my household.

I picked up two copies of the first 7" - one on gold, and one on red.

Discogs tells me that there were 500 made of each of these. I don't really trust discogs for pressing info, but it sounds plausible that there are a lot of these.

The one RTS 7" I did already own previous to this spree was the 'Open Roads and Broken Dreams' 7" on green. So it was cool to grab it a friend on blue.

And finally, the 'Everybody's Hero' 7" on Victory. This one is pretty pointless because all of the 4 songs on here subsequently came out on their debut full length after this 7" was released. One of the many reasons that people came to hate Victory I guess.

I genuinely think that this band has aged really well. I've probably listened to Reach The Sky more in the last couple of years than I did during the years they were together. Funny how that happens sometimes. But there are still various colours of these 7"s that I don't own, so I could well be still picking more of these up for years to come.

1 comment:

Mike said...

This post made me so happy, and reminded me that I need to buy more RTS records.