Monday 22 March 2021

If'n

I've posted about the band fIREHOSE on this blog a few times before, and nobody ever seems too interested sadly. The band existed from circa 1986 to 1993 and in that time knocked out 5 full lengths. I never really got into the last two, but the first three on SST Records are all absolutely top notch. They've been in my life for many years, and I never really tire of them. I have all 3 on colour vinyl, and hoped to one day also pick up test pressings of them too. Well, I'm now one step closer to that goal...

The second album is simply titled 'If'n' and was released in 1987. For some reason of other, test pressings of this record are relatively common. There are three copies for sale on discogs right now as I type this. I have looked at these things for sale a few times in recent years, but I have always felt that they are over priced. Well, fortune favours the patient, and eventually a copy showed up on eBay for a much lower price. I watched it and ended up being the only bidder which kinda proved my point that the ones on discogs are over priced. Result!

Like every SST test press I have ever seen, this one just comes in a plain white sleeve. But this one does come with a photocopied version of a lyric sheet, which is a nice little extra.

To end this post, a pic of the test press next to the regular cover. Just because it feels like the right thing to do.

2 comments:

geoff said...

im sure i have posted this before, but they played at a park near my house around 89, maybe 88? it was fun being a kid, and walking over to a park to see a show.

Marc said...

My first comment here I think haha.

Every old school skateboarder should know this band because of the Natas Kaupas part :-)
But also Windmilling and Hear Me of course.
But the Natas part is a classic for sure!

And don't forget about all the other cool tracks:
http://theskateboardsoundtracks.com/video/5b7ad2fb2c4408e7254dd104