Saturday 16 January 2021

Testcapades

Early last year, Youngblood had a 50% off sale in their webstore. I can't remember what the occassion was, but as soon as I saw the sale was on I headed to the store as I figured that there would be some test pressings for sale. I knew that Youngblood often put test pressings up for sale, although I've never really wanted to pay the prices that they are listed at. But with a potential 50% off, I figured that there could probably be a bargain to be had. So I went straight to the vinyl section to see what was available, and immediately a test press for the second Justice LP 'Escapades' jumped out at me. I couldn't resist it. And given that there was nothing else that I wanted, I checked out fast... although a couple of months later I found out that there was also a Worn Thin LP test press that I somehow missed. Damnit.

Originally released in 2007, 'Escapades' was a big change of sound for Justice. Their early records were straight up hardcore, but this LP just sounded like they had decided that they wanted to be Supertouch. For me, this was a good move. The record sounded great and I was really into it, although I'm not so sure that the rest of the world agreed. With hindsight it was probably the beginning of the end of the band, but for me it's their best record.

2 comments:

Nico said...

I loved the last EP, listened to this again the other day and it was great.

Mike said...

I was very disappointed when Escapades came out, but over the years I've really grown to appreciate it, and easily listen to it more than Elephant Skin.

Nice score on the test...jerk.