Saturday 23 January 2021

Short Songs For End Times

One of my favourite releases of last year was a new album by The Casket Lottery, aptly titled 'Short Songs For End Times'. But even though it was technically released at the back end of 2020, there was some problem that delayed the vinyl copies, and mine finally turned up a week or so ago. This thing was jointly released by a couple of different labels (Second Nature and Big Scary Monsters), the latter of which is based in the UK. I checked the various versions available, and the colour that was exclusive to the UK label looked like the most acceptable of those available, being a blue and purple split. The mock up picture looked ok, so that was the one I ordered.

So here's the half blue and half purple copy that I finally received:

OK, so it's not quite as intended, and it doesn't look particularly nice at all, but at least I got myself a copy at all. And it's probably the least offensive of the different versions available.

It's crazy to think that the last Casket Lottery LP was back in 2012. At the time, it had been 8 years since their last release, and it felt like an eternity. But here we are again with another 8 year gap, and this one doesn't feel like it's that long since the last one. I guess it really is true that the older you get, the faster time flies. Damn.

Anyway, this is such a great record. Ot's maybe a little more downbeat than previous efforts, but every bit as addictive. I used to love this band so much in the early 00s, and as the years rolled on they kinda drifted out of my life. The 2012 was ok, but didn't quite seem the same as the earlier efforts. But this one landed at the right time. I even played it to the point that Anna banned me from playing it anymore, haha! But yes, if you ever liked this band in the past then you'll probably enjoy this one. If you've never heard this band, then I figured I'd link to a weird video for a song from this record. You can press play and then you'll know if this is for you within probably 15 seconds or so. Enjoy...

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've never heard this band before, but video for the song that you posted has me interested. Will have to check out more.