Thursday 7 January 2021

Suffrage

The calendar may have ticked over into a new year, but I still have a few things from last year I didn't get around to posting for various reasons. So 2021 begins with a few bits leftover from 2020.

A couple of months before the end of 2020, and around the time of the US election that Donald Trump won via a landslide, people started posting what I thought was a Descendents meme, with Milo in the guise of a ballot box. A few weeks later, it turned out to be the artwork for a new 2 song Descendents 7". 'Suffrage' contains two songs, both lyrically based around the theme of the 2020 US election.

There were two colours of this one pressed. This is the more common colour, out of 2000 copies, although I think it looks nicer than the rarer colour, which is some whack grey swirl thing.

I have mixed views on this record. The songs are pretty catchy, and also pretty angry. I get the distinct impression that the Descendents are not fans of Donald Trump. I think what puts me off though is simply that this is based on a theme that will date pretty quickly. In a couple of weeks the US will have a new President and it won't be long after that Trump will start to feel like a distant memory. So outside of the current time I think these songs just won't feel relevant anymore. But I'll enjoy them for now.

1 comment:

Mike said...

"the US election that Donald Trump won via a landslide" had me laughing hard. Well done.