Sunday 31 January 2021

85-86

Even though I have a lot of records, I don't feel that there are too many bands that I 'collect'. ALthough by this, I mean that there aren't many bands for which I try to collect every version of every release. But recently I realised that this is partly a state of mind. I mean, an example is Dag Nasty. I don't feel that I collect their records, but recently I realised that I do have quite a lot of rare versions of their records, to the point where my Dag records could probably respectfully stand next to the collection of someone who does collect their records. Well anyway, here's another one for the Dag Nasty non-collection. This one popped up for sale on discogs and was being sold by a UK seller, so I shot him a message to ask for photos, and within a couple of hours we'd done a deal.

This is a test press of the '85-86' 4x7" box set that was released by Selfless Records back in 1991. There were 3,500 box sets made, which seems quite a lot, and back in the early 90s it did seem pretty common and easy to get. But like most things, over time it has become a little harder to find. The test press comes on 4 black vinyl 7"s with blank labels. According to photos on discogs, there were 6 test press sets made, and some copies have stamped labels. I'm not sure I believe that only 6 were made because, if that were true, it would make far more sense to me if all the labels were stamped rather than just 'some'. But regardless of how many copes may or may not exist, it's still a nice little item to have I think.

The original box sets contained 4 different colour records, with one of each being on white, green, purple and pink. It looks quite nice, although obviously pressing an album on 4 different 7"s makes playing it all the way through a total pain in the backside.

This album is just a compilation of Dag Nasty songs from various points of their career and features all 3 different singers. Interestingly, the label also pressed this as a regular 12" for all those who wanted to listen to the songs with only two trips to the record player. Seems that a bunch of those came with blank and stamped labels, which I didn't know previously, so now I want one of those too.

1 comment:

Nico said...

Excellent find!