Tuesday 26 January 2021

Walking On Eggshells

Am I the only person who finds it difficult to buy just one record? Whenever something pops up for sale on discogs or eBay, I always check to see what else the seller has on offer. The seller of the Seaweed 7" that I posted yesterday was also selling a record that I think had been listed for sale for at least two years. At one point in the past I had been thinking about buying it, but decided that I'd just wait and see if the price got reduced. In the end it didn't, but I decided to buy it anyway.

This is a test press of a 7" by a band called Dempsey. It was released by Indecision Records way back in 1995, and was the 4th release by the young label. I bought a copy when it came out just because it was on Indecision, which a young me had identified was a pretty cool up and coming label. And I can only but imagine what I would have thought if I had been made aware that I would be buying a test press of it 25 years later.

Original test pressings on Indecision are pretty scarce, with very low numbers made. They generally don't pop up for sale too often, although some of them are bands that nobody really cares about, like this. I always liked this 7". It has a very typical mid 90s sound, very chugga chugga with a kind of half sung vocal. Definitely a band that was on a Quicksand vibe, but sounded a bit less polished. But these three songs were always really catchy to me, and it's one that I do still play from time to time.

Here's a pic of the test with the other copy of this 7" that I have, on a nice purple vinyl.

I know absolutely zero about this band. I have no idea where they were from (I assume California, but I could be wrong), nor whether any of the members were in any other bands, either before or after Dampsey. The only other thing I do know is that they also put out a split 7" with Kill Holiday, which was also released by Indecision. I have a test press of that one too that someone gave me a few years ago.

It's funny, no matter how much time passes, I always seem to find myself being drawn back to obscure 7"s from the 90s that nobody else remembers (or even really cared about at the time). Sometimes I get to find information about bands that I never knew anything about, although on this occassion the internet yielded no results. If anyone can tell me anything at all about this band then please comment. Thanks!

No comments: