Friday 29 January 2021

Carrot Juice HA, HA, HA

I used to have a very limited and fixed definition of which Revelation Records releases I was collecting, which was basically one colour vinyl copy of each release. But then over time I flexed my rule time and time again, to the point where I now find myself buying multiple versions of black vinyl records.

For a couple of years now I have becmoe more and more intrigued by the 2nd and 3rd pressings of the Bold 'Speak Out' LP. This all started when I would see cheap copies of the LP for sale with the gatefold sleeve, and I started thinking about picking up extra copies if it was a different pressing to the first pressing copy that I have owned for many years. The 2nd and 3rd pressings are identical to the 1st press except for a minor changes to the matrix. So every copy that would come up for sale with a low price, I would ask the seller to tell me what the matrix was, and every single time without fail it would turn out to be a 1st press. Which is why I started to wonder whether the 2nd and 3rd pressings really existed at all. But fortunately I was able to grab both in one go from a reliable collector.

There is absolutely nothing noticeably different about these two records aside from the matrix. Oh, and the texture of the labels. One of them is glossy paper, and the other has a label that feels almost furry. Very weird. Anyway, I grabbed the pressing info from Rev so you could understand what I am going on about:

I have to say, this is probably one of my favourite record covers of all time. The band logo, the photos and the colour scheme all work so well together. Quite why they never pressed this on colour vinyl originally I don't know.

No comments: