Monday 22 July 2024

Vandal X

Another step into the world of old Sub Pop 7"s, this one is a two song 7" by Unsane. This is not a band I know much about at all, but I do know that they have a pretty big following and these days are considered quite influential. This 7" was released in September 1990 as Sub Pop 76, and was the 23rd installment in the singles club.

Unsane were a 'noise rock' trio who have been going since the end of the 80s, and they are still going today. Their catalog has releases by some of the biggest and most well known independent labels, including Matador, Amphetamine Reptile, Relapse, Alternative Tentacles and Southern Lord, so it's understandable that they are so popular. Their wikipedia tells me that they used to be part of some noise rock scene in NYC in the early 90s, and that they used to regularly play shows with Helmet, which makes total sense on hearing these songs, as Helmet is probably the closest comparison I can draw.

Anyway, on the strength of these songs I am definitely down to check out more by this band. I just need to figure out which is the best record to start with. Feel free to chip in with any suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would start with Total Destruction Lp. Regarding NY noise scene check band Surgery, Little Debbie is a great ep to start with.