Tuesday 19 September 2023

Crunch Time

I'd never consciously heard Rhythm Collision until this year when one of their records came on youtube after something else I was listening to on youtube.I was into it really quickly and went straight to discogs and bought a nice purple vinyl copy of their second LP, 'Now'. Well, a month or so later the guy who sold me the record got in touch and asked if I would like a green vinyl copy of their third LP, 'Clobberer!' which I was also pretty stoked on.

And then, another few weeks later, and the same guy hit me up again with more Rhythm Collision records that he was looking to sell. And as is often the case, I couldn't say no...

First up is this self titled 7" from 1990. There are two songs on here, and both were also on the first LP, so this is essentially a promo 7".

Copies exist on red and blue vinyl, and there is no information about how many of each there are, but based on the number of people on discogs who own one, it feels that the blue vinyl is probably the rarer of the two.

Next up is the band's first LP, 'Pressure', released way back in 1991. This one sounds a little bit more basic than their later records, and a little more poppy. I haven't listened to this one as much as the others, but in time I will get to it.

I'm not sure how many copies exist on red vinyl, but not all are.

Next up represents just how stupid I can be at times. Even though I am relatively new to this band, I somehow decided to buy three more colour vinyl copies of the second album 'Now'. DO I really need 4 copies of this record? Well, probably not. But they are nice colours and they were pretty cheap, so it seemed better than spending money on a new release pressed on some crappy colour that looks awful.

And finally, what I thought was the final LP, 'Crunch Time'. It turns out that this is actually a live LP, released in 1996 on Stiff Pole Records. From what I can tell, it feels that white is the more limited version of this one.

Crazy that until this year I had never heard this band, and now I have a pretty extensive collection of their records. I have to say though that in my defence I probably wouldn't have been so keen ot buy them if they weren't cheap. The band also seem to have released a bunch of 7"s but I don't think I can be bothered to try to collect those. But who knows? I'm starting to confuse myself these days so anything is possible.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've loved this band for years, and yet somehow you've managed to build a better collection than I have in a few months.