Tuesday 26 September 2023

Flash Flash Flash

One of the cool things about having a lot of records and being a music fan generally is when you rediscover things from years gone by. So there I was flicking through my phone trying to find something to listen to and I decided to listen to the first Explosion LP 'Flash Flash Flash'. It had been a while. But goddamn, I was singing along and started to wonder why I'd lost interest in the band at some point, because this LP is absolutely fantastic.

SO of course I went to discogs to see what else might exist, and I was reminded that the copy of 'Flash Flash Flash' that I own is on clear yellow/orange, and there was a solid yellow copy out there. And by luck there was one for sale on discogs from a UK seller for a good price. So for whatever stupid reason I decided to buy another copy.

This came out back in 2000, and around this time Jade Tree were in a phase of releasing LPs on two different colours at the same time, and a lot of them they pressed on a solid colour and a clear colour. The first Kid Dynamiet LP comes on both solid red and clear red, the second Kid Dynamite LP comes on solid green and also on clear green, the first Paint It Black LP comes on both solid blue and clear blue, and there are more. But what I remember is that there was never any pressing info, but I always wanted the solid colours just because they look nicer than clear colours.

I ordered most of the Jade Tree releases direct from the label back when they were originally released, and always got sent colour vinyl copies. But sometimes I got clear colours and sometimes solid colours. But picking this one up has kinda made me want to collect second copies of the LPs I have. At this point in record collecting I think that another collecting goal is exactly what I need, haha.

My conclusion to why I gave up on this band is that a few years went by after this record came out, and when the band released something else it was 4 years later, and in that time a hell of a lot had changed, both in my life and in the hardcore scene. That happens sometimes. But given how much I have been enjoying this record again lately, I'm keen to explore what else they did that I have been blissfully anaware of for the past decade or two.

1 comment:

Mike said...

This record is so good. I remember rediscovering it a few years ago, and looking for the vinyl at the time, but never pulled the trigger on anything. Maybe I should start the search again.

Oh, and clear colors always look better than solid.